Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Reader’s Theater


Reader's Theaters are known to be super beneficial for students. With a reader's theater, the kiddos can bring the writing to life and be the voice they think the author is intending. They are able to put context to their reading. I love using reader's theaters!! With PA taking the state tests for the past two weeks, we have had some extra time down at the end of the hall. I thought what better way to utilize this time than to bring in some reader's theaters?! Currently, our reading unit is focusing on the presidents and the preamble, so I scooted over to Scholastic and this reader's theater website and found a couple that we could use.


I am a huge advocate for letting students learn as they go, so I gave them the scripts, they practiced and helped each other with picking voices and movements, and they even got creative with props they made! I love seeing their little minds at work!


So, after a long two weeks of hard work and practice, we were ready to put them on. I invited the other third grade ELA teacher and her class over to be our audience.


 Do you use reader's theaters in your classroom?

Happy Teaching!


~ Beth



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE reader's theater. Usually I only have a handful of kids that can handle it because I teach kinder, but they love it too. We have them record themselves with their iPad too so they feel like a movie star :) These are great to share with parents too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recording themselves is a neat idea! I think parents would love to see something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, so fun! Kids love to act out -and they learn to much in doing it too. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for your comments!

Beth :)